Installation requirements and instructions.
Supported Operating Systems
You can run Viash on the following operating systems:
- Windows using Windows Subsystem for Linux
Linux and macOS
For these operating systems, there are two dependencies before you can use Viash:
- Viash is developed in Scala 2.12, so you’ll need an Oracle Java SE Runtime Environment 8 installation or OpenJDK in order to use it.
- You will need Docker to install Viash and use it to its full potential.
Windows with WSL2
When using WSL2, there are some extra steps to set it up correctly if you haven’t done so already:
- Install WSL2 by following the instructions provided by Microsoft. This will install the default distro, Ubuntu.
- Follow these instructions provided by Docker to install Docker Desktop with a WSL2 backend. This allows you to run Linux docker containers natively.
- Open Ubuntu from the Start menu to start up WSL2.
- Run the following command in the Ubuntu terminal to upgrade Ubuntu and its packages to the newest version:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y
- Run this command to check if docker is working correctly:
docker run hello-world
If this doesn’t work, read the Docker WSL instructions again, you might have missed a step or forgot to reboot your system.
- Install the Viash dependencies by executing this command:
sudo apt-get install -y openjdk-12-jdk unzip zip
Note: You can choose to install
default-jdkinstead of the more explicit
openjdk-12-jdk. However, Nextflow only supports Java version 8 to 12 at this point in time, so keep that in mind.
To install Viash to a bin folder in your current directory, run the following command to download and run the bootstrap tool:
wget -qO- get.viash.io | bash
To verify your installation, run the following command:
Additional options can be set immediately using the following syntax:
wget -qO- get.viash.io | bash -s -- OPTIONS
For example, this command installs a release candidate of Viash in a directory named ‘applications’:
wget -qO- get.viash.io | bash -s -- --bin applications --tag 0.5.0-rc3
--help to get more information on the various parameters.
wget -qO- get.viash.io | bash -s -- --help
Here’s the full list of options:
viash_install 0.5.10 Bootstrap or update a viash project's CI/CD artefacts Options: --bin type: file, output default: bin Target dir for viash scripts and tools -r, --registry type: string example: ghcr.io Which Docker registry to use in the Docker image name. -o, --organisation, --organization type: string example: myorganisation Which organisation name to use in the Docker image name. -tis, --target_image_source type: string example: https://github.com/myorganisation/myrepository Which image source to specify in the component builds. --namespace_separator type: string example: _ The separator to use between the component name and namespace as the image name of a Docker container. -c, --config_mod type: string, multiple values allowed Modify a viash config at runtime using a custom DSL. For more information, see the online documentation. -t, --tag type: string default: latest Which tag/version of viash to use. -l, --log_prefix type: string default: ./.viash_log_ A prefix path or directory for where to store the log files.